Breightmet Golf Club – Centenary
In 1911 businessmen from the Red Bridge Dyeing Company and Messer’s Twisses Dye Works got together with a Doctor, Lawyer and local Councillor to form the Club on farmland behind the Coach and Horses pub in Ainsworth.
At this time the Clubhouse was an Elizabethan farmhouse at Smithfold, which still exists today.
In 1914 the course moved to its present location on Red Lane, the Clubhouse being a terraced cottage at Red Bridge.
In 1924 the Clubhouse was replaced by a former tennis pavilion and was subsequently rebuilt in 1993.
In 1966 the new nine hole course was opened by the then Captain Mr. Wilf Griffiths.
In 1976 the land which was initially rented, was purchased.
In 2004-2005, after the Club purchased adjacent land the course was extended to 18 holes.
Extending the course to 18 holes enabled the hosting of the Bolton & District Golf Championships – a first for the Club in 2011, our Centenary Year.
Here are some shots of our membership enjoying a fantastic week of celebration.